Monday, December 18, 2023

Tuesday Tales - Cream

 


Welcome to Tuesday Tales! This week we are with the Gods of DC and the word prompt is “cream”.

Be sure to check out the other Tuesday Tales by clicking here!


Hestia scowled as she gave a haughty shrug. “There is nothing ‘up’ with me. I am perfectly fine.”

Demeter shook her head in disagreement. “I know you, Hestia. It was you and me against the rest, remember?”

Hestia’s frown deepened. She spun on her toe and shuffled towards the kitchen, her skirt swaying around her as she hustled away. Shemus babbled as he disappeared with his aunt. Demeter sighed and followed them. 

Hestia rounded the island in the middle of the spacious room and set Shemus in the port-a-crib that magically appeared out of thin air. The goddess plucked up the tea kettle to pour herself a cup of tea. A sprinkle of sugar and a dollop of cream finished the beverage. She took a sip. Was she trying to compose herself? “Yes, I do remember that. When we lived on Olympus, when we were happy at home, it was you and me against the rest of the Pantheon. We could trust each other. I could rely on you. Now? Can I do that now? I'm starting to believe that I can’t.”

“What would make you think that?”

“You have changed, Demeter.”

Demeter gaped at her sister, dumbfounded. She clamped her fists to her hips as she felt rage bubbling up inside her. “You said you loved them. Freddy, Mack, Juliet, Deidre and Khalil. You just said how you like them better than your own blood family.”

Hestia’s eyes widened as she set her cup on the counter. “I did.”

“Are you lying?”

“Of course not.”

“You aren’t making sense, Sis.”

Hestia paused then huffed. “I am proud to be one of the remaining Vestal Virgins. I really am. But, I can’t help but feel a little…”

Demeter gave her a little smile. “Jealous?”

“Yes. That. You are so happy now with your little family. For the first time in thousands of years, I am wondering if I made a mistake.”


4 comments:

  1. It has to be a lonely existence being cut off from love as she is. I feel sorry for her. Hope that changes someday. Great scene with the sisters confiding in one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww. I feel for her. Bless her. She's the goddess of the hearth and worshipped, but at what price?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful excerpt. It brings out the loneliness of someone who has forgone family and personal commitment for the benefit of the larger Good. She can't help but wonder if she did the right thing. Love this phrase- She clamped her fists to her hips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honest post about Hestia's possible regrets at not having children. I feel her confusion and pull toward a life she has not known. I hope the sisters can reconcile this and once again pull together. Great post!

    ReplyDelete