Monday, July 1, 2024

Tuesday Tales - Common

 


Welcome to Tuesday Tales! This week's word prompt is “common”. We are back with my new story. I’m still not sure where it is going.

Be sure to check out the other Tuesday Tales by clicking here!


*note*: Dana is now Elise. I didn’t want anyone getting confused


“It’s common to find him like that, sitting on the floor between the stacks of books reading one after the other. He’s voracious. Typically it’s about Egyptian history or astrology. I’ve seen him pick up a foreign language text or two. I think he taught himself to speak Spanish and Arabic. We’re not sure that he works. He’s here for hours.”

Dani’s heart fell a little. She felt sorry for the poor guy. Something must have happened in his life to lead him down this path. He certainly didn’t look unemployed and potentially homeless. 

Her inner thoughts were quickly derailed when Elise spoke again. She tapped Dani’s arm with the back of her hand over and over. “Shoot. I forgot about the presentation in the auditorium today. We are about to be swamped with kids. I was so excited to get you started today that I forgot to check the calendar. Grab the cart. We can reshelve later. We need to hurry.”

Dani’s brow creased in confusion as she searched in the direction that Elsie was indicating. While one of Elsie’s hands gripped her sleeve, the other was waving frantically at a set of double doors on the other side of the library. A man dressed in a olive green short sleeved khaki dress shirt and matching slacks was tugging a cart full of crates and boxes with all his might. A bucket hat was slowly slipping off his nearly bald head. 

Dani could have sworn she heard a squawk of two coming from that direction. Elsie let her go then scrambled across the massive room to the new guest. Dani gave one last glance in Ezra’s direction. He still clung to his book, oblivious to her or anyone around her. She sighed as she grabbed the cart and followed after Elsie. 


5 comments:

  1. Ezra is really interesting. I look forward to learning more about him. Love your chosen quote/image of the bucket slipping off the man's nearly bald head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ezra intrigues me. I am sure he has a great backstory! And the man in the olive green shirt also intrigues me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, like the comment about the bucket hat and the bald head. The reader is an interesting character. I'd like to know how he survives without working. I hope we are going to find out.

    ReplyDelete