Welcome to Tuesday Tales! This week's word prompt is “trot”. We are back with Dani in my new Sci-Fi story.
Be sure to check out the other Tuesday Tales by clicking here!
“No, no,” Dani assured. “Everything is okay at home.”
Nancy’s scowl deepened. “Then why do you need the time off?”
Dani could feel her heart hammering against her ribs. Her hands were getting clammy. She felt lightheaded. Maybe she would pass out and not have to ask? If only she could be so lucky. “I have the opportunity to go on an archeological dig in Egypt. It would be a couple of weeks, I think. I’m not exactly sure when I will be back.”
Nancy pressed her lips into a thin line as she crossed her arms over her chest. It felt like her stare was burning through Dani. Finally she spoke. “I didn’t know you were into archeology.”
Dani gave her a half shrug. She couldn’t tell her boss the truth. “It’s a hidden passion of mine. I never mentioned it because I never thought an experience like this could happen.”
Nancy glared at her for a moment longer then threw her hands up like she gave up. “I should have known. That’s fine. Just keep in touch, okay?
Dani gaped at Nancy as her skin stopped feeling like it was trying to crawl away as much as it had before. “Are you sure?”
“Do you think you’re the first new hire who trotted into my office to ask me if they can go on an exhibition?” Nancy countered.
“I’m not?”
“It happens more often than you would think. I’m going to make the same demand of you as I did of them.”
“And that is?”
Nancy’s scowl turned to a smile. A devious smile. There was the anxiety again. She leaned on the desk towards Dani. “When you get back, we will schedule a presentation for our patrons. You can tell everyone about what you saw while you were gone.”

No comments:
Post a Comment