Monday, July 20, 2026

Tuesday Tales - Scarlet

 

Welcome to Tuesday Tales! This week's word prompt is “scarlet”. We are back with Dani in my new Sci-Fi story. 

Be sure to check out the other Tuesday Tales by clicking here!


“Thank you but that will not be necessary. Just let me talk to them. I promise I will get back to you today.”

She thought she could hear Julian snarl through the speaker of her phone. “You better. I will talk to you this afternoon.” With no warning, the call went dead. Dani stared at her home screen of her cell with a sigh. Maybe Ezra was right. Maybe this was a bad idea. Nevertheless, it was time to go find Nancy and have an awkward conversation about her employment.

She scurried from between the shelving units and hurried towards the offices of the library. It was a distinct difference from the rest of the building. While the rest of the facility was filled with neatly lined bookshelves full of tomes, this space was crowded with cubicles. She never knew it took so many office folks to keep this place running. 

She skimmed the perimeter of the office in the direction of the back corner. That was were Nancy sat. Before Dani got there, she spotted a scarlet suitcoat worn by a woman with more gray than blond hair. Other than that, Nancy could have been mistaken for someone Dani’s age. 

“Nancy,” Dani called out. 

Nancy spun on her toe to search the area for the voice that summoned her. When she saw Dani, she smiled. She pointed back to her office then redirected her steps to it. 

You may not be grinning for long, Dani thought to herself. She quickened her pace so she could meet Nancy at the door. 

Nancy motioned her inside then followed her. “What can I help you with, Dani?”

Dani sucked in a deep breath. “I know I haven’t been here long but I need to take some time off. I can do it unpaid.”

Like Dani guessed, Nancy’s countenance darkened at the request. “Has something happened? Do you need to go home?”


No comments:

Post a Comment